Full Reset (RIS)
- Resets palette colors to initial state (like reset palette colors without parameter)
- Switch to primary screen (i.e. disable alternate screen buffer and company)
- Clears the screen and the scrollback buffer
- Move cursor to (1, 1), reset the pending wrap state.
- Resets current SGR attributes (like select graphic rendition with 0 as parameter)
- Make cursor visible (set cursor visible)
- Reset cursor shape to initial state
- Reset cursor blinking to initial state
- Reset cursor origin mode
- Set scrolling region to full size (resets set top and bottom margins and set left and right margin, resets left and right margin mode)
- Set G0-G4 = ASCII, select G0 into GL, select G2 into GR, reset single shift
- Resets key press modifier reporting format (like configure modifier key reporting formats without parameters)
- Disable all mouse tracking modes (e.g. mouse down+up tracking, mouse highlight mode, mouse click and dragging tracking, mouse tracking with movement, report focus change, mouse report format multibyte, mouse reporting format digits, mouse reporting format urxvt)
- Stop waiting for a reply in mode mouse highlight mode
- Reset tab stops to be set on each 8th column, starting in column 1.
- Sets send-receive mode
- Reset keyboard settings changed in terminal user interface.
- Reset keyboard type modes (e.g.use "tcap" keyboard mapping, use "sun" keyboard mapping, use "hp" keyboard mapping, use "sco" keyboard mapping, use "legacy" keyboard mapping, use "vt220" keyboard mapping) to their initial value.
- Disables cursor key format mode
- Disable VT52 mode
- Unsets set application keypad mode (like reset application keypad mode)
- Enable keyboard input (resets disable keyboard input)
- Changes backspace sends delete depending on configuration
- TODO(wording): load leds without parameters.
- Resets all title modes (like unset title mode without parameters)
- Set mouse pointer auto hide to initial configuration (reverts changes done with change mouse pointer auto hide)
- Disable C1 control sequences in terminal to application communication (like use 7-bit controls)
- Reset DEC user defined keys (like dec user defined keys with
p = 0 and no key definitions.)
- Revert changes to modes insert mode, linefeed mode, enable slow scrolling, wraparound mode, reverse display colors, cursor origin, activate dec national character set mode, reverse wrap mode, do not clear screen on mode ?3 change
- Reset attribute change extent to reading order (like select attribute change extent with parameter 0)
- Reset modes experimental: left click moves cursor, experimental: middle click moves cursor, experimental: right double click removes word, bracketed paste mode, experimental: on paste prefix each byte with ctrl-v, experimental: on paste do not translate lf to cr
- Reinitializes the saved cursor state (like save cursor just after the reset)
- Disable mode 132 column mode
- Disable selective erase protection for printed characters. (like select character protection attribute without parameters)
- Resets check sum settings to initial configuration (see select checksum extension)
This page is possibly incomplete. Please report an issue if you see something is missing or you have further information.
🛈 In the default configuration xterm rings the terminal bell on reset.
🛆 Does not correctly reset italic SGR attribute. italic needs to be enabled and disabled again to recover.
🛈 Does not clear the alternate screen.
🛈 Does not reset its palette variant.
🛆 Does not clear the scrollback buffer.
🛈 Sets G1 to DEC graphics.
🛈 Resets utf-8 mode to default.
🛈 Disables display of control characters.
🛈 Unsets set ibm code page 437 translation and set ibm code page 437 translation with forced 8th bit.
🛈 Resets linux pointer style.
🛈 Resets cursor blink interval.
🛈 Resets bell pitch and duration.